For his birthday, my son asked for cupcakes with strawberry filling and strawberry frosting. So here’s what I came up with. FYI they’re delicious!
- 1 box butter yellow cake mix and whatever ingredients the mix needs and cupcake liners (you can make the cupcakes from scratch if you want but I find with kids it’s not worth the effort as they’re just in it for the frosting anyway.)
- 1 Pkg (16oz) frozen strawberries in syrup, thawed (my grocery store had them in a tub)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup nonhydrogenated shortening
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp whole milk
- 2 Tbsp strawberry jello powder
First make the mousse filling as it needs to chill.
- Puree the thawed strawberries in a blender or food processor.
- Then combine strawberries, heavy cream and cornstarch in a medium saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly (or almost constantly, because lets face it 10 minutes is a long time just standing there stirring a pot) until thickened, about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and chill in the refridgerator.
While the filling is chilling, make your cupcakes. Most cake mixes make 24 cupcakes. Cool cupcakes completely before filling.
Finally, you need to make your frosting.
- Beat the shortening and softened butter together until well combined and fluffy. Add the sugar and beat for about 2 more minutes.
- Add the vanilla and milk, and beat for another 5 to 7 minutes until fluffy. Finally, add the jello powder and beat until combined, scrapping down sides of bowl with a spatula as needed. And frost your cupcakes. I again used my decorator tool to swirl the frosting on. You could also jazz them up with a sliced strawberry on top or go crazy with sprinkles even.